[Distutils] Installation problem with True64 AFS file system

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@cnrs-orleans.fr
Wed Nov 7 06:24:01 2001

An MMTK user sent me a bug report which is in my opinion a distutils
problem. Does anyone have an idea what is going on here?

  As an aside, I'm having problems with the installation of MMTK itself on
  Alpha/Tru64.  I keep getting these:

  copying MMTK/Database/Groups/aspartic_acid_uni2 -> /afs/bi/v/@sys/languages/python/latest/lib/python2.0/site-packages/MMTK/Database/Groups
  error: /afs/bi/v/@sys/languages/python/latest/lib/python2.0/site-packages/MMTK/Database/Groups/aspartic_acid_uni2: Not owner

  The file is copied, but the installation process halts there. I am able
  to proceed by rerunning the python setup.py install; it notices that
  that file got there OK, copies the next one, and halts again.

  As you notice, we have the AFS file system (whose chmod/chown semantics
  are quite different from regular UNIX). This is not a problem on Linux,
  HP, SGI or Sun, only on Alpha. Also, it does not matter whether I have
  my normal account or the administrator account on AFS. What is the
  installation program trying to do and is it altogether necessary?

Konrad.