[Distutils] Setting group and owner on installed files

François Pinard pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
Fri Nov 9 10:25:01 2001

Hello, my Distutils friends! :-)

I've been reading this list for a good while, but this is my first message
here, so far that I remember.  Before going any further, let me express
my satisfaction about `distutils', which gives us the mean of very simple
and surprisingly quick installations of our Python things.

Despite we use some recent Python version on a few machines, we use Python
1.5.2 for most of them.  I installed Distutils explicitely on all those,
so it is available everywhere and to everybody in the team, here.  We are
many people (accounts) installing local Python code, and we like avoiding
being root while installing.  Our setup use 2775 on installation directories
and 664 or 775 for installed files, everything under the same Unix group.

It would be very convenient to us if we could manage with Distutils, so
these permissions and common group were enforced on installation files,
directly at `python setup.py install' time.  The main purpose of this letter
is suggesting such a feature for some later version of Distutils.  But also,
to welcome any clever suggestion someone could have in the meantime!

                                        Keep happy, all!