[Distutils] Having trouble with 'exclude'

Andy Todd andy47@crosswinds.net
Wed Sep 12 07:28:01 2001

I am having a few problems with creating a source distribution and would
appreciate any help or pointers.

The situation, I have the world's simplest package, in the directory are
five files;

"""
MANIFEST.in
setup.py
wibble.py
wibble.user.py
"""

The only line in MANIFEST.in is;
"exclude wibble.user.py"

because for my own reasons I do not want that file even in my source
distribution.

When I run "python setup.py sdist" I get the following output;
"""
running sdist
reading manifest template 'MANIFEST.in'
warning: no previously-included files found matching 'wibble.user.py'
writing manifest file 'MANIFEST'
creating Wibble-1.0
making hard links in Wibble-1.0...
hard linking README.txt -> Wibble-1.0
hard linking setup.py -> Wibble-1.0
hard linking ./wibble.py -> Wibble-1.0/.
hard linking ./wibble.user.py -> Wibble-1.0/.
tar -cf dist/Wibble-1.0.tar Wibble-1.0
gzip -f9 dist/Wibble-1.0.tar
removing 'Wibble-1.0' (and everything under it)
"""

Any suggestions?

If it is any help my setup.py file is basically;

"""
#!/usr/bin/env python
APPLICATION_NAME = "Wibble"
from distutils.core import setup
import glob, os, sys

setup(name=APPLICATION_NAME,
       version=1.0,
       description="My application",
       author="me",
       author_email="my.email",
       url="http://my.url",
       packages=[APPLICATION_NAME],
       package_dir={APPLICATION_NAME: '.'},
       scripts=[],
       licence="Python",
       data_files=[]
      )
"""

Whilst I'm here, is there any definitive documentation on the arguments
and their valid values that can be passed to 'setup'? The shipped
documentation seems to be a bit all over the place.

Thanks in advance,
Andy
 From the desk of Andrew J Todd esq.
"Hit me with your fax machine, baby" - Francis Dunnery, "Because I Can"