[Distutils] Help - Does wininst ignore MANIFEST?

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien@orbtech.com
Wed Sep 12 13:48:01 2001

I just started using distutils, have run into a snag and could really use
some help. I'm able to create source distributions with no problem. But when
I try to create a windows installer version via:

C:\Code\PyCrust>python setup.py bdist --formats=wininst

I get a win32.exe file that does not contain my icon file or subdirectories,
whereas the .zip and .tar.gz files come out fine. Is this a known problem?
Or am I doing something wrong?

Here are my manifest files:

MANIFEST.in
-----------
include PyCrust.ico
recursive-include Data *.py *.txt
recursive-include Demos *.py *.txt
recursive-include Docs *.py *.txt

Produces this MANIFEST file:
----------------------------
PyCrust.ico
README.txt
setup.py
.\PyCrust.py
.\PyFilling.py
.\PyShell.py
.\__init__.py
.\crust.py
.\filling.py
.\interpreter.py
.\introspect.py
.\pseudo.py
.\shell.py
.\version.py
Data\PyCrustTutorial.py
Data\PythonTutorial.py
Demos\PyCrustAlaCarte.py
Demos\PyCrustMinimus.py
Docs\CHANGES.txt

Which is used by this setup.py:
-------------------------------
#!/usr/bin/env python
"""Setup file for the distribution of PyCrust. PyCrust is a pure
Python distribution. Thanks to Andy Todd, who created the original
setup.py for PyCrust."""

__author__ = "Patrick K. O'Brien <pobrien@orbtech.com>"
__cvsid__ = "$Id: setup.py,v 1.1 2001/09/12 16:16:32 pobrien Exp $"
__date__ = "September 11, 2001"
__version__ = "$Revision: 1.1 $"[11:-2]

from distutils.core import setup
import version

setup(name="PyCrust",
      version=str(version.VERSION),
      description="PyCrust - The Flakiest Python Shell",
      author="Patrick K. O'Brien",
      author_email="pobrien@orbtech.com",
      url="http://sourceforge.net/projects/pycrust/",
      packages=["PyCrust"],
      package_dir={"PyCrust": "."},
      scripts=["PyCrust.py", "PyShell.py", "PyFilling.py"],
      licence="Python",
      long_description="""
      PyCrust is an interactive Python environment written in Python.
      PyCrust components can run standalone or be integrated into other
      development environments and/or other Python applications.

      PyCrust comes with an interactive Python shell (PyShell), an
      interactive namespace/object tree control (PyFilling) and an
      integrated, split-window combination of the two (PyCrust).
      """,
     )

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm on Win98se with Python 2.1.1
and Cygwin (though I am running distutils from a dosbox, not the Cygwin
shell). Thanks.

---
Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech (http://www.orbtech.com)