[Distutils] Linking against the interpreter - how?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.nl
Sun Feb 17 17:27:16 2002

I'm in the process of converting Python to use two-level
namespaces on Mac OS X (a way to make sure globals in different
extension modules don't bite each other) but I'm running into a
problem.

If you use two level namespaces the LD command line for the
extension module needs to specify the executable into which the
extension will be loaded. But unfortunately the Makefile
variable for this, BLDFLAGS, does double duty: it is used during
the build process for building the standard extension modules
(with the setup.py in the Python source directory) and it is
later (when Python is installed, and you're building a new
extension module) picked up by distutils.

In the first case BLDFLAGS would need to contain the pathname of
the Python executable in the build directory. In the second case
it would need to contain the pathname of the installed Python.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could fix this?
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -