[Distutils] test suite support

Paul Moore gustav@morpheus.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 15 17:27:07 2002

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 19:46:41 +0100, "Thomas Heller"
<thomas.heller@ion-tof.com> wrote:

>From: "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com>
>>
>> Why not add this as new "test" command to distutils ?! It could have
>> options which programmers can then set in order for the command to =
find
>> the test suits to run, e.g.
>>
>> python setup.py test
>>
>> I'd suggest to use an approach similar to what build_ext and the
>> Extension class have to offer (in terms of code design).
>>
>I've used the following code which was posted by Berthold H=F6llmann
>to this list with good success in several of my setup scripts...
[...]

I strongly support *any* form of a test command. I think that this is
very important, to encourage people to provide test suites with their
distributions.

The problem, to some extent, is that there are too many "home-grown"
solutions. We just need one version, added to the "official"
distribution.

Can Thomas' version be added to CVS, so that it gets into Python 2.3?
It's a real shame, in retrospect, that this didn't get done for 2.2. If
not Thomas' version, then can someone provide a version? But this is
very definitely a case where anything is better than nothing...

Paul.

(Sorry, I campaigned about this a long while ago, but I let it drop. I
shouldn't have.)