[Distutils] test suite support

Steven Knight knight@baldmt.com
Wed Jan 16 15:04:00 2002

> > > It seems the "official" way to do it would be to prepare the source
> > > and then upload it as a patch to sourceforge. At least I would like
> > > the people on python-dev to comment (most of them aren't subscribed
> > > to distutils-sig).
> >
> > Good point - that would make sense.
>
> Instead of discussing what the "right" way to do testing really
> is, why not simply leave this decision to the package author and
> only ask for an entry point, e.g.
>
> setup(...
> 	tests = [ TestSuite('mytests', run=myunittests.run, verbose=1),
>                   TestSuite('moretests', run=mymodule._test) ],
> ...)
>
> The only question I see coming up is whether to run tests
> automatically or only at request.

Hear, hear.  There are too many different testing methodologies to try
to pick the "right" one for distutils to support.  Within my project
alone (SCons) we use two separate testing methodologies, PyUnit for
per-module unit tests and a TestCmd.py module for end-to-end command
testing.  Anything more restrictive than a simple, generic "run the
tests" interface would be a problem.

	--SK