[Distutils] making setup less chatty by default

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon Jan 21 03:58:02 2002

Just to clarify: I don't have objections as to clean up the
distutils self.verbose interface. Indeed, I would prefer to
have clearly defined verbosity levels to choose from, e.g.

verbose 0 - give information about commands being run and
            what part of the cake they are working on (and
            nothing more)
verbose 1 - give details about what the commands actually do
            (or don't do, e.g. skipping actions)
verbose 2 - any extra information which might be helpful

The interface should work much like Python's: -v = level 1
-vv = level 2.

Note that warnings and errors should *always* be displayed
(we might want to add verbose levels -1 and -2 which are
set by providing a command line option -q and -qq resp. to
force keeping quiet in these areas too).

Jeremy wants to move the "don't so" messages one level
up. If the above scheme gets implemented, I'd be
-0 on that one... I still believe that skip notices are
just as important as build notices, but YMMV.

Gotta run,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH