[Fwd: [Distutils] Automatic creation of .pyc files]

Andy Todd andy47@halfcooked.com
Mon Mar 25 22:32:02 2002

I posted the following message to the list last year but had no replies.
I've still got the same problem and wondered if anyone could shed any
light on my issue this year ;-)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Distutils] Automatic creation of .pyc files
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 12:00:01 +1000
From: Andy Todd <andy47@halfcooked.com>
To: Distutils <distutils-sig@python.org>

All,

When packaging a Python module is it possible to stop the automatic
creation of .pyc on installation?

I ask because in PythonCard we currently store our configuration data in
files that are imported but never executed (i.e. they just contain a
list). When I package up the prototype and make it available I would
like to be able to stop .pyc versions of these files being created.

In the future we will probably change the way this data is stored to
avoid this, but in the mean time I was wondering what I can do. Any and
all suggestions are welcome.

Regards,
Andy