[Distutils] updated SF patch

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri May 31 15:15:01 2002

Andrew Kuchling wrote:
> On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 01:43:24PM -0400, Jeremy Hylton wrote:
>
>>Good point.  Is the core API documented anywhere?  I can't tell what
>>is intended to be part of the API and what is accidentally exposed by
>>the implementation.
>

> No reference docs were ever written, AFAIK, so we'll just have to
> follow Python convention: methods prefixed with an underscore are private, otherwise public.

Right.

>>The getopt code is probably the most complex argument processing code
>>I've ever seen.  I've got no idea if I've preserved backwards
>>compatibility where necessary.
>

> Assuming OptionParser (or whatever Greg names it) gets checked in,
> distutils.fancy_getopt can get deprecated.

Is there are strong need to replace it ? (Again, this would
probably third break code using it to e.g. make setup.py files
command line customizable.)

>>Does it mean we need to support all the optional verbose keyword args
>>even though they will be ignored?
>

> I guess so; maybe there should be a warning when 'verbose' is supplied.
>
> It would be nice if there was a list of packages that do fancy
> Distutil customization, so that we'd know what to test against.
> Anyone want to volunteer for this?

Hmm, subclasses will usually pass the verbose argument
along, so removing it would cause these to fail. Ignoring
it would probably be fine though.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH