[Distutils] Re: [Python-checkins] python/dist/src/Lib/distutils sysconfig.py,1.52,1.53

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Wed Nov 6 12:28:07 2002

Thomas Heller wrote:
> Jeremy Hylton <jeremy@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>

>>It doesn't appear that there has been any interest in standalone
>>distutils releases since Python 2.2 was released.
>>
>>I just checked and saw that the last release of distutils separate
>>from Python was 1.0.2.  This release was done around April 2001.  And,
>>suggesting that April is not the cruelest month after all, Python
>>1.5.2 was released in April 1999.  I'm happy to let the winter snow
>>cover over 1.5.2 support and forget it come spring of 2003 and a
>>Python 2.3 final release.
>>

> I have (totally unofficially) distributed CVS versions of distutils to
> several people, so that they can try out the recent bdist_wininst
> improvements.
>
> I was thinking that maybe we (who is we?) should release a new
> distutils version when this is finished, but I'm not sure if there are
> still Python 1.5.2 users out there.

There are.

> With the current state, it would be easy to do this last release even
> compatible for them, and after that we could move on with new cool
> coding styles, and using new features.

Provided that new coding styles retain Python 2.1 compatibility, +0,
otherwise -1. In distutils, performance is not relevant, so
new coding styles wouldn't buy us anything much.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH