[Distutils] Re: [Python-Dev] Killing off bdist_dumb

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
Wed Nov 13 17:16:12 2002

Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org> writes:

> Aren't zipfiles used as el-cheapo installers on Windows?  I've seen
> plenty of stuff that was distributed as a simple zipfile, with
> instructions "unpack <here>".

Sure, but on Windows, you have bdist_wininst, which isn't any more
difficult to use, and far superior. People building distutils packages
for Windows appreciate the fancy-without-efforts installer (I'm one of
those people myself); I would never consider using bdist_dumb on
Windows.

In fact, I thought it was meant for systems like Solaris, where the
native packaging is not supported. Of course, on Solaris, I would
expect to get a .tar.gz, not a .zip.

So even though I do use binutils binary packages, I would not suffer
from losing bdist_dumb, and I can't imagine anybody who would.

Regards,
Martin