[Distutils] problem running python setup.py

A.M. Kuchling amk@amk.ca
Fri Nov 15 08:48:04 2002

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 08:59:44AM -0000, Bowen Steffan ap Geraint GT/IT wrote:
>pleased if you could give me any advice as to what to do to resolve this
>problem. I am using python version 1.5 on Linux release 6.0 (Hedwig)
>Kernel 2.2.5-22 on an i586

I don't know; when I try the setup.cfg with 1.5.2 it works fine, after
fixing a few lines that got word-wrapped by your mailer.  Note that
there are bugfix releases after 1.5, so this bug might have been fixed
in Python 1.5.2; you should try upgrading to it, or at least trying
the ConfigParser.py file from 1.5.2.

>  File "/usr/lib/python1.5/ConfigParser.py", line 232, in __read
>    cursect = cursect[optname] + '\n ' + value
>TypeError: expected integer index

The error message may imply that cursect is a sequence of some sort,
but that section of ConfigParser.py assumes that cursect contains a
dictionary.  You could debug the problem, starting by putting
debugging prints into ConfigParser to find out what cursect is, and
working backwards from there.

--amk                                                             (www.amk.ca)
"Ah, yes. Dear Frank. I'm afraid he's had to retire early with a mild touch of
insanity."
      -- Oscar Wilde, in FROM HELL #11