[Distutils] Re: [Python-Dev] Killing off bdist_dumb

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon Nov 18 03:36:30 2002

David Arnold wrote:
> -->"Andrew" == Andrew Kuchling <amk@amk.ca> writes:
>
>   Andrew> (But how can you tell whether a Linux distribution uses RPM
>   Andrew> or DEB natively?)
>
> checking for the presence of /etc/redhat_release or
> /etc/debian.version (or whatever their actual spelling is) would give
> you a good guess.
>
> alternatively, checking for the presence of the debian installer tools
> (dpkg, etc) would tend to indicate a debian system, and if that fails,
> checking for the rpm binary should do (debian systems can have the rpm
> binary installed also, but checking for dpkg first should be ok).

I don't think that we really need such guessing. When distributing
packages you usually build for a lot of different targets, not
just only for the system you are using.

I wonder why noone from the debian camp has yet contributed
a packager for this platform.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH