[Distutils] MANIFEST not included

John J Lee jjl@pobox.com
Tue Oct 8 11:07:03 2002

--On 06 October 2002 23:05 +0200 Florent Rougon <florent.rougon@free.fr>
wrote:

> John J Lee <jjl@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> created.  If I explicitly add it to MANIFEST.in, I get a message from
>> distutils telling me that MANIFEST doesn't exist (presumably because
>> distutils just deleted it, so it can remake it).
>
> Since you use MANIFEST.in (and not directly MANIFEST), why don't you
> want to put "include MANIFEST.in" in it?

I do -- and obviously, people can generate MANIFEST themselves if they
like.  I just wondered why MANIFEST itself doesn't end up in there.  I
presumed it was supposed to be there for some purpose... though I admit I
don't know quite what!  Package distribution system?  I think I've seen
MANIFEST in other packages (not necessarily Python packages), so I guess
somebody has a use for it.  Anyway, is it a deliberate feature of distutils
that this doesn't get included?

John