[Distutils] Re: segmentation fault using kinterbasdb extension on cygwin.dll

Jason Tishler jason at tishler.net
Fri Aug 15 11:33:36 EDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 01:17:40AM -0700, eumir camara wrote:
> I was able to build and install kinterbasdb_3.1_pre4 on cygwin
> successfully. But I kept getting a segmentation fault (core dumped)
> when connecting to firebird 1.03.

See below...

> [snip]
>
> QUESTIONS:
> Did i build the extension properly?

I don't know, but it sounds like you did.

> Is it possible that it couldn't find a required gds32.dll?

Unlikely, because you would have gotten an import error (along with a
winerror of 126):

    $ fgrep 126L /usr/include/w32api/winerror.h | head -1
    #define ERROR_MOD_NOT_FOUND 126L

> Is it possible that it could find it gds32.dll, but is not because it
> uses MSVCRT.dll while the _kinterbasdb.dll uses cygwin1.dll?

The above is most likely the problem.  You cannot use two C runtimes in
the same program.  You will have to either use all Win32 or all Cygwin
components.  A mixture of the two is a recipe for disaster...

Jason