[Distutils] the contents of MANIFEST.in

Stefan Seefeld seefeld at sympatico.ca
Thu Aug 28 21:19:05 EDT 2003

hi there,

I'm sorry if this isn't specifically a problem related to
distutils, but more related to generation of distributions.

I'm writing a MANIFEST.in file for my package. I'm testing
it with 'python setup.py sdist' and 'python setup.py bdist_rpm'.

During the build, some files are generated which are part of
a (binary) distribution, such as html or pdf documentation.

When I compile an rpm package, I'll get an error because
these files were found, but were not part of a package:

RPM build errors:
     Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found:

This sounds as if I should add them to the MANIFEST.in file.
That, however, isn't even possible, since the list of files
seems to be filtered (i.e. matched with existing files) before
the installation (or even building) process even starts, i.e.
these files don't exist yet !

Does this mean I can't use a manifest template, but have to
write a full manifest manually ?

Or am I missing something ?

Thanks,
		Stefan