[Distutils] Small footprint installs w/distutils

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Sun Feb 23 12:54:01 2003

Chuck Bass wrote:
> I'm trying to build a small footprint distribution
> using the setup.py file with distutils.
>
> When the code is installed a .py file is copied to the
> package directory and ultimately it is compiled into
> .pyo and .pyc files.  One of my targets is a slow
> (133MHz) embedded processor with a flash disk (that
> doesn't have a great deal of space).  I'd like to
> install just the .pyo files on this target.  Is this
> possible or do I have to resort to some adhackery
> outside of distutils.

I suppose you are using bdist_wininst. In that case you
can compile the files on the build system and prevent
compilation on the target system using these options:

Options for 'bdist_wininst' command:
   --no-target-compile (-c)   do not compile .py to .pyc on the target system
   --no-target-optimize (-o)  do not compile .py to .pyo (optimized)on the
                              target system

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 23 2003)
Python UK 2003, Oxford:                                     37 days left
EuroPython 2003, Charleroi, Belgium:                       121 days left