[Distutils] Switching off optimization for python setup.py config

Mark W. Alexander slash@dotnetslash.net
Thu May 1 19:21:20 2003

On Thu, 1 May 2003, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> Jack Jansen wrote:
> >
> > On donderdag, mei 1, 2003, at 15:03 Europe/Amsterdam, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> >
> >> You can use the distutils.command.config command class to write
> >> configuration and test compilation methods. These have complete
> >> control over the compiler being used, so switching off optimization
> >> for the purpose of configuration should be possible.
> >

> > Does this work on non-unix platforms? MacOS9 is on the way out (it
> > definitely won't work there), but I wouldn't be surprised if stuff like
> > this also won't work on Windows or BeOS or whatever.
>
> If you mean the config command, yes, this also works on Windows.
> I use it to check for C APIs and to find locations of C libs
> and header files.

Hmm. Then would this also work for making a setup.py that was capable
of cross-compiling to other targets? I've long been thinking the
combination of Distutils, the catalog and a cross-compiler setup on
the server would be able to deliver native binary packages from a
source repository.

Take that, CPAN!

mwa
--