[Distutils] Re: [Python-checkins] python/dist/src/Doc/dist dist.tex,1.53,1.54

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Tue May 13 17:55:01 2003

Anthony Baxter writes:
 > It's probably worth noting that the reference manual I'm writing
 > (see the sandbox) and the existing two Distutils docs need to
 > interact in some way. I'm not sure what that is yet, though...

I see two possibilities, and have a fairly strong preference for one:

  1. Include it in the "Distributing Python Modules" document.  This
     makes a lot of sense, since the most common users of this
     documentation will be people trying to make distutils do the
     right thing for their package.  This is also not unreasonable for
     people trying to extend distutils to support additional
     compilers, binary packages, and the like.

  2. Distutils could have a chapter in the Library Reference.  This
     isn't unreasonable, it just doesn't have anything else to
     recommend it.

Clearly, I prefer option 1.  ;-)

  -Fred

--