[Distutils] Proposed change to ccompiler classes

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Fri Nov 7 11:14:19 EST 2003

Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl> writes:

> On 6 Nov 2003, at 20:53, Thomas Heller wrote:
>
>> I can see two solutions:
>> - Enhance the compiler classes with a method which will bring the files
>> into the correct order, then make sure that they are actually compiled
>> in this order.
>>
>> - Change the code so that the files are compiled in the order of the
>> sequence passed to the compiler, and let the setup script writer take
>> care that the order is correct.
>
> I would prefer a way to specify the dependency, similar to "make".
> But distutils design is already tather top-heavy as it is, so
> practicality may dictate your second solution...

Well, I would *like* to view the second option as a bug fix, especially
because it doesn't solve the original problem.  You specify a sequence
of files, and they should not be compiled in random order.

Andrew, what do you think?

Oh, I wanted to mention this: It's possible to work around a *lot* of
problems or limitiations in distutils with command subclasses in the
setup script.  But it's a pain to change the behaviour of the compiler
instance.

Thomas