[Distutils] Call for Distutils 2.0 suggestions

Stefan Seefeld seefeld at sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 8 21:55:38 EDT 2003

A.M. Kuchling wrote:
> Greg Ward did a really good job designing and putting together the
> Distutils, but the intervening years have exposed some shortcomings in
> it, and it's probably time to fix them.  I've created a wiki page for
> Distutils 2.0 ideas at:
>     http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/DistUtils20>
>
> Please go edit the page  and add any bugs or shortcomings you've noticed.

done.

Great to hear that you plan to work on distutils. Do you have any
timeframe in mind ? What kind of changes are you considering ?
Just (minor) fixes or even changes to the underlying design ?

I'v seen a lot of projects extending distutils considerably, it
may be interesting to carefully look into their code and try to
use their experience. I'm thinking of projects such as 4suite,
for example...

I'm particularly interested into bridging autoconf/make based
build systems with distutils, and would like to collaborate on
that. I'm working on projects where I wrap existing projects
(originally C/C++ libraries) so the integration should be as
little intrusive as possible.

Also, you may communicate with the boost.python developers.
Having a simple way to build boost.python extensions would
be extremely useful...

Regards,
		Stefan