[Distutils] Timeframe of 2.0 again?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Fri Oct 24 16:01:24 EDT 2003

Jeremy Hylton wrote:
>>On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:39:23PM +1000, Anthony Baxter wrote:
>>
>>>and standard library? If so, what minimum version of python should I
>>>code for? I figure either Py2.1 or Py2.3 - I see no reason to stop at
>>>2.2 - 2.3 is really just 2.2 with additional bugfixes &c.
>>
>>Last time this argument went around (in May) MAL argued for Python 2.0.
>>I have no problem with that, though stopping at 2.2 also makes sense; it
>
> may
>
>>be the old version, but it's still widely deployed.
>>
>>--amk
>

> +1 from me.
>
> I'm more in favor of more recent versions, but I'd be happy with anything
> that didn't need a future statement for nested scopes.

Where would you want to use nested scopes in distutils code ?
Note that distutils code is not performance relevant. It's
ease of customization and wide-spread usability that
matters.

You should be aware that package authors will be forced to drop
Python <x.y support for whatever x.y version we choose for
distutils. I wouldn't want to drop Python 2.1 support until
Python 2.3.3 is out (I plan to skip Python 2.2 altogether because
of the speed advantages that 2.3 has to offer :-).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 24 2003)