[Distutils] Changes in RPM affecting Distutils

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Tue Oct 28 08:49:50 EST 2003

amk at amk.ca writes:
 > It's supposed to be fixed; from bdist_rpm.run():
 >
 >         rpm_cmd = ['rpm']
 > 	if os.path.exists('/usr/bin/rpmbuild') or \
 > 	   os.path.exists('/bin/rpmbuild'):
 >            rpm_cmd = ['rpmbuild']
 >
 > Is rpmbuild somewhere else?

No; I see what happened now.  Someone fixed Distutils to use rpmbuild,
but didn't backport it to the Python 2.1 I was using at the time.  ;-)

I guess this is why Marc-Andre uses the latest distutils for all
Python versions, and sheds real light on why Distutils itself should
remain as Python-version-agnostic as possible.  It's needed for
packagers to support current platforms, not just older versions of
Python.  For all-Python packages it's not a big problem, but is more
of a problem when C extensions are involved.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation