[Distutils] Changes in RPM affecting Distutils

amk at amk.ca amk at amk.ca
Tue Oct 28 09:16:03 EST 2003

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 08:49:50AM -0500, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
> No; I see what happened now.  Someone fixed Distutils to use rpmbuild,
> but didn't backport it to the Python 2.1 I was using at the time.  ;-)

It would be possible to backport (well, copy really) the current Distutils
tree to the various -maint branches, but it would be a lot of work.  You
could grab the 1.1 snapshot from www.python.org/sigs/distutils-sig/files/
and install it.  BTW, I've gotten no comments on the snapshot -- has anyone
tried it?

> I guess this is why Marc-Andre uses the latest distutils for all
> Python versions, and sheds real light on why Distutils itself should
> remain as Python-version-agnostic as possible.  It's needed for

Well, we need to come to some decision on this, but it's not clear how.
Should we ask Guido, or python-dev, or the PBF?  Should we vote on it?

If it's up to the Distutils maintainer -- and I'm probably the closest
approximation at this time -- then I would say 2.0; MAL's arguments are
convincing to me, even though personally I'd find 2.3 more convenient.

--amk