[Distutils] distributing a large python application

Jesse Hammons jessehammons at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 18 14:53:14 EDT 2003

I am looking for advice on how to trip down the size of a monothic
application I am building with python/wxPython.

This project involves the python code from python, wxPython significant
amounts of C and C++ code from wxPython, PyOpenGL and the underlying
application functionality, which is largely a set of unix commands
implemented in C.

My question is: what strategies are there for doing a more traditional
linking stage for the final application bundle?  As it stands, I
packaged up python, wxPython and PyOpenGL with my app and it came to a
100Meg binary.  I use only a small portion of the funcionality of those
packages (e.g. site-packages from python) but the wxPython and OpenGL
extensions are done as shared libraries which means the whole thing
goes out.

I have tried freeze.py and similar, but that just seems to make things
bigger.

Are there tools that do a static analysis of python code to list which
packages are actually used?  What about a dynamic analysis (I run my
app, then dump the list of loaded modules and just ship those).

For the C/C++ code, I am thinking of just statically linking the
extensions into a python exectable and letting the linker strip dead
code.

Advice or pointers to other groups appreciated.

Thanks,
-Jesse