[Distutils] walking for sub-packages

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Sat Sep 27 11:58:58 EDT 2003

I just added the following to a setup.py:

    # Find all the sub-packages of Synopsis
    def add_package(found_packages, directory, local_names):
        if '__init__.py' in local_names:
                re.sub('.*Synopsis', 'Synopsis', directory)
                .replace(os.path.sep, '.')
            local_names = []

    py_packages = []
    os.path.walk('Synopsis', add_package, py_packages)

    # sanity check
    assert 'Synopsis.Core' in py_packages

Then naturally, I call setup with packages=py_packages.  Is something
like that capability built into distutils?  If not, shouldn't it be?

Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting