[Distutils] Supporting extensibility in disutils

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Aug 2 18:49:58 CEST 2004

Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
> I'd like it to be possible to add additional commands to distutils with
> modifying distutils itself or the setup.py file included with packages.  I
> don't think this needs to be a particularly risky change.
>
> The use case is to allow additional commands to be added for all distutils
> setup.py scripts, or to replace commands with site-specific.  This could then
> be used to support alternate bdist_* flavors (either for additional types of
> packages or alternate implementations for currently supported package types).
> It could also be used to provide alternate implementations of existing
> commands to support alternate policies.
>
> Specifically, I propose that distutils should be extended to search for an
> implementation class across a list of packages instead of only
> distutils.command, keeping distutils.command as the default entry in the
> list.  Additional packages could be identified using a command line option or
> configuration data.
>
> I'm willing to work up a patch for this; are there any objections to adding
> this functionality in Python 2.4?  (I'd like to have this in the coming alpha
> if at all possible.)

I'm +1 on being able to *add* new commands this way, but a
strong -1 on overriding distutils own commands by doing
import hackery. The reason for the latter is that tracking down
errors in such setups is a complete nightmare - both for the
developer and the user.

How about something like a PYTHONDISTUTILSPATH + distutils.path
(mimicing PYTHONPATH and sys.path for command lookups) ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 02 2004)