[Distutils] Fwd: Re: [scons-users] CVS build problem

Helmut Jarausch jarausch at igpm.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Aug 3 13:59:51 CEST 2004

------ Forwarded message ------
    From: Steven Knight <knight at baldmt.com>
 Subject: Re: [scons-users] CVS build problem
    Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 19:27:52 +0000 (UTC)
      To: users at scons.tigris.org

Hello Helmut--

> with the CVS version from today
> calling
> SCONS_LIB_DIR=`pwd`/src/engine python src/script/scons.py build/scons
>
> I get (with Python 2.4 (CVS))

Hmm.  This looks to me like it's a bug (or change) in the 2.4 version
of distutils.  This works just fine under Python 2.2.2, anyway.

> running build_scripts
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/Obj/OBJ/Python/SCons/scons/build/scons/setup.py", line 221, in ?
>     apply(distutils.core.setup, (), arguments)
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/distutils/core.py", line 150, in setup
>     dist.run_commands()
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/distutils/dist.py", line 951, in run_commands
>     self.run_command(cmd)
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/distutils/dist.py", line 971, in run_command
>     cmd_obj.run()
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/distutils/command/bdist_wininst.py", line 127, in run
>     assert self.skip_build, "Should have already checked this"
> AssertionError: Should have already checked this
> scons: *** [build/scons/dist/scons-0.95.win32.exe] Error 1
> scons: building terminated because of errors.
>

> This is a LINUX machine, so why creating an win32.exe ?

Distutils (at least, older versions of distuils) can create a Windows
installer on any system.  (It looks like it essentially wraps the
Python-specific stuff in a hard-coded image the binary .exe.)

I hope they haven't removed that functionality from 2.4.  Being able to
generate everything we need to ship without having to build on multiple
systems is a huge win.

When you're just building build/scons, it doesn't (or shouldn't) actually
try to create a win32.exe, but it still calls setup.py, which seems to
trigger this check in 2.4 but not in earlier versions.

I'd recommend bringing up this on the distutils-sig mailing list, or
filing a bug report there.  I know that Fred Drake, at least, has been
making some distutils changes in anticipation of the 2.4 release.

        --SK