[Distutils] Standardizing distribution of "plugins" for extensible apps

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Dec 8 14:44:24 CET 2004

At 12:20 AM 12/8/04 -0500, Mike Taylor wrote:
>I'm also interested in this idea.  While I'm new to the distutils scene, I
>am currently tasked with creating installation tools for Chandler so maybe
>I can be of some help.

Great, that saves me the trouble of waving down an OSAF person to get
involved.  :)

>On Dec 7, 2004, at 11:50 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>>How about some kind of public key as well, so that if you visit the
>>update URL you will know if the new package was provided by the same
>>author or not?
>
>Some sort of signature, or other means of validation, would be a must -
>otherwise the security risk would make cross-site scripting attacks look
>enjoyable :)

No more so than with any other current technique for installing Python
modules, but nonetheless a signature mechanism is a "nice-to-have" at the
current level of things.  I'd like to leave a way open for that, but not
allow it to hold up implementation of a basic format, so that we can start
experimenting with its use.

>The only issue I see with versioning would be if you have a plugin that is
>operating specific - then the version information would need to include
>that metadata.

Platform dependency for C extensions, plus general OS platform dependencies
should be part of the metadata, but they don't need versioning, except e.g.
OS version dependencies.

>I took a good look at how to make Chandler be able to use existing
>modules/libraries in order to reduce the number of included dependencies
>and ended up putting the idea down and just backing slowly away from
>it.  Without the metadata information that this idea would provide it just
>seems to be one big mess.

Indeed.  In the general case, a "plugin" under this concept could easily
just be a bdist_plugin of an arbitrary package, however, like Twisted or
wxPython.  Granted, they might have to tweak the setup scripts a little in
order to properly enable it, but once the format exists, a lot of other
things should be possible.  For example, if you have a pure-Python
application with no C extensions, but you depend on packages that do have C
extensions, you could just bundle platform-specific plugin distros of those
other packages, built by people with access to the target platform.