[Distutils] Standardizing distribution of "plugins" for extensible apps

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Thu Dec 9 17:16:39 CET 2004

"Phillip J. Eby" <pje at telecommunity.com> writes:

>> > <zip layout compatible with zipimport>
>> >
>> > Uh, why does it matter if zipimport can do something with it if we're
>> > going to need a custom importer anyway?
>>
>>If you use a custom importer, it could extract extension modules to the
>>file system on demand (for those non-hypotetical platforms where it's
>>required).  And it may even be possible with zipimporter, if the archive
>>has some custom extension loaders.
>
> That's actually a good point; py2exe does basically that now, with a
> pure Python stub replacing the extension.

Mark does the same in the win32 extensions; pythoncom24.dll and
pywintypes24.dll are also loaded via python stubs.

> Of course, py2exe relies on the extension and its libraries being
> outside the archive.
>
> Hm.  Does the normal Python search look for extensions first or
> second?  I'm just wondering if unzipping an archive with such stubs
> would automatically work when Python does its normal import mechanism.
> That is, would the extension take precedence over the stub?

Yes, .pyd is preferred if a .py is available in the same place.  I don't
think this is by accident, and probably the order is determined by what
imp.getsuffixes() returns.

> If so, then that approach is a real winner.  bdist_plugin (or whatever
> it's called) could create stubs that provide extension loading
> support, and which would be ignored if the archive was unpacked.  If
> need be, a support module could be included in the archive's root, so
> that the stubs don't have to be large.

This may even be an idea for single-file py2exe: Let the stub unpack the
extension, maybe in a TMP directory, open the file with
FILE_FLAG_DELETE_ON_CLOSE (so we don't have to clean up manually), and
then let the stub load the extension.

(Off-topic: I've always been interested in the question if it is
possible to emulate LoadLibrary with user code)