[Distutils] MSVC7 directories

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Feb 4 03:53:31 EST 2004

In article <r7xcezfq.fsf at python.net>, Thomas Heller <theller at python.net>
writes

>> A patch to honor environment variables when they are set would help
>> developers and, presumably, hurt no one.  (No real Windows user would set an
>> environment variable anyway.)
>
>I'm not sure I'm in the position to pronounce on this, but: If someone
>comes up with a patch that does this, I have nothing against it.  But
>I'm not prepared to support and/or debug configurations the users may
>have which are very different from my own.

this seems a bit harsh to me; I understand the part about being unable
to debug, but surely this software is supposed to be a bit more robust.
It is after all the product of more than one person and is now in the
standard distro. Even M$ gives us VCVARS32.BAT so they presumably
believe in that. I don't buy the argument about having to use the gui to
set stuff up as distutils is a script/command line tool. I suppose we
now face more difficult times with both MSC7/6 as the 'standard', but
isn't that why distutils should consult the host python to determine
which is preferable.

>If I understand Mark correctly, the MSVC 7 GUI doesn't pick up the
>enviroment vars itself - this is (one of?) the difficultiy I see.
>
>Thomas

Robin Becker