[Distutils] Problem compiling Extensions on Win32

G D garth at utmail.to
Wed Feb 4 12:27:05 EST 2004

This is proably a dumb noobie question, but hopefully some of you have seen this type of thing before.

I'm trying to compile a set of Extensions for a Zope app, I'm using the Python that came with Zope2.7RC2 which is Py 2.3.3 on a Windows system.

After setting the system path to include the Zope bin and bin\include directories (where the Python.exe and the header files live), I attempt to compile the extensions by doing the following.

python setup.py build -cmingw32

I get a hole bunch of undefined interface type errors (the computer's at home so I'm going by memory) similar to __Inf__PyString undefined, and it ends off with a line about WinMain at 16 with that setup terminates.

When I try the same thing with MSVC7 (from the .NET 1.1 SDK), I get an error message that Python was compiled with Visual C 6 and modules must be compiled with that compiler.

The seemingly odd thing to me is when I try it with MSVC6 Std Ed (starting a new cmd prompt and loading the VC6 .bat file for environment), I get the same error message - which doesn't make sense.

I'm a bit confused, is there something else to compiling under windows I'm missing? do I need to be in MSys (I've just been trying from cmd)?

Any suggestions greatly appriecated,

Cheers

-Garth

Northern.CA ===--