[Distutils] MSVC CRT woes

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Thu Feb 5 04:45:01 EST 2004

> > A Python API function "PyFile_OpenFile()" would also solve
> > this issue, but obviously that wouldn't exist in 2.3 or
> > earlier, so doesn't help this specific case.
>
> According to Martin von Loewis, this is a lost cause - mixing
> runtimes is
> never OK, even if you don't use "dangerous" functions (like
> ones which use
> FILE*). However, in practical terms, I've never generated a
> problem (although
> I haven't tried very hard).

Yes, hence I never pursued it.  "Although practicality beats purity" seems
to apply, but I don't care enough to push it.

> >> Does the move to VC7 mean that we'll break this strategy with
> >> Python 2.4 distutils ?
>
> > Yes, unless we do as outlined in my mail.
>
> I may be misunderstanding what is being discussed here, but I
> believe that with
> the move to VC7, you will need the following to build
> extensions compatible with
> both Python 2.3 and 2.4:
>
> 1. Installed copies of both Python 2.3 and 2.4.
> 2. EITHER MSVC 6 and 7 (both versions) OR mingw

Yes, that is true for all practical intent, if your installation has
extension modules.  However, for a pure-python distribution, you need *no*
compilers installed.  In that case, we still have a problem - at the moment,
the installation is guaranteed to fail for either Python 2.3 and before, or
for 2.4, depending on which CRTL was used to build wininst.exe.

To clarfify, I am talking about only how wininst.exe interacts with Python,
not extension building related issues (even though they are similar).

Mark.