[Distutils] MSVC7 directories

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Thu Feb 5 16:01:02 EST 2004

"Mark Hammond" <mhammond at skippinet.com.au> writes:

>> > I think there is a simple fix to keep most people happy. distutils
>> > can just *append* the existing env var value to the new value.  I
>> > think it is acceptable to say distutils wont let you set these to
>> > change the location of standard libraries or headers, but will let
>> > you add new ones.
>>
>> So there's no need to read the entries set in MSVC7 itself (for which
>> you have uploaded a patch) ?
>
> :)  Well, that would work I guess.  I see no reason we can't support both
> the "GUI config" and "environment config", but if you felt it appropriate to
> support only the environment variables, it wouldn't really upset me.

I would find it strange if a naive setup script would use different
include and lib directories depending on whether win32all is installed
or not.

IIRC, distutils need to read the registry was the reason that the
_winreg module was added to the Python core.

Maybe its time to add a distutils_util compiled extension for windows
specific features (do I need a smiley here or not - not sure) ?

> But I point out again that the way things stand at the moment, *neither*
> work with MSVC7.1
>
> Mark.

Thomas