[Distutils] data_files and sdist

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Feb 23 05:42:35 EST 2004

Paul Prescod wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
>> Paul Prescod wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a deep reason that the sdist command does not include
>>> data_file files by default?
>>

>> AFAIK, the files which are included by sdist are defined by the
>> MANIFEST -- seems reasonable to me.
>

> I think that the MANIFEST is a bad idea. Why have a second way of
> describing what files are relevant? Setup.py should be enough.

Maybe because setup.py does not reference all the files that
are needed by a project ?! E.g. think of a C library with
dozens of header files and auxiliary files that only the
C lib's Makefile knows about. distutils wouldn't have a chance
to find these automagically. Another example is files that
are not part of the installed software, but only included for
reference, e.g. README files, hints, install guides, etc.

> Because I
> think that MANIFEST is a bad idea, I delete it every time I build and
> let Pyrex generate another. This brings me to my low-level question.
>
> Pyrex generates a MANIFEST according to rules described here:
>
>  * http://www.python.org/doc/current/dist/source-dist.html
>
> These rules do not include data_files. My original question was "why not?"

Why not write a MANIFEST.in that includes everything you
need ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 23 2004)