[Distutils] Are there command line options for wininst builds?

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Thu Jan 22 14:27:05 EST 2004

Chuck Bass <cbass233 at yahoo.com> writes:

> I've looked at the wininst code and they do some tricky stuff with
> appending some binary to build an exe file on the fly.  Is the source
> available that made that binary.  If it is available I'd be willing to
> take a look at making it accept some command line parameters.

The source is in python CVS:

<http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/python/python/dist/src/PC/bdist_wininst/>

But be warned, it's not an example how to separate view and model ;-(.

It might be *much* easier to come up with a bdist_wininst_2 command or
so, which uses Python's zipfile module and maybe a py2exe built exefile,
and silently installs the stuff just where Python is installed.

The zipfile module wasn't standard when the source code was written, so
the C code had to handle unpacking of the zip archive.

Gee, this may even be a project idea if I wouldn't have other things to do.

Thomas