[Distutils] Are there command line options for wininst builds?

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Thu Jan 22 16:09:33 EST 2004

Chuck Bass <cbass233 at yahoo.com> writes:

> Thomas thanks for your quick responses.  Your emails are doubling up for some reason.

Wrong setup of my email client, I guess ;-)

> I looked at the source.  It looks like it might be reasonable to
> change things around a bit.  What I don't see is instructions on how
> to turn the EXE that MSVC builds into the binary 'text' that disutils
> uses to build the installation program.  Is this documented somewhere?

It seems you're using Python 2.2.  The Lib\distutils\command\bdist_wininst.py
file, when run as a script without any arguments, recreates itself if it
finds the wininst.exe in a certain place.  I'm sure you can figure it
out, the code is around line 221.

If you use Python 2.3 (or copy the distutils package from 2.3 to your
2.2 installation), this is no longer needed.  The bdist_wininst command
from 2.3 just expects the wininst.exe file in the same directory.

Whatever you use, make sure that you use C sources belonging to the
distutils version you use.

Thomas