[Distutils] build_py support from setuptools

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Jun 9 00:13:19 EDT 2004

At 04:25 PM 6/8/04 -0400, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
>I'd like to merge the build_py improvements from setuptools into the
>distutils
>build_py command.  This would add:
>
>- an easy way to install additional data files into a package
>
>- the ability to provide both individual modules and packages at the same time
>
>This would affect Python 2.3.5 and 2.4.  I'll modify setuptools to only "take
>over" the build_py command if it needs to.
>
>Any objections?

Not objections, exactly, but note that...

* The module/package support is already in distutils on the CVS HEAD, so
there's nothing to do there.

* These kinds of behavioral change/upgrades seem unlikely to be approved
for 2.3.5, since the previous behavior was documented as such and therefore
not a "bug".