[Distutils] Installing scripts

Mark W. Alexander slash at dotnetslash.net
Thu Jun 10 18:37:25 EDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 06:20:20PM -0400, Tim Peters wrote:
> [Fred L. Drake, Jr.]
> > We just need to make sure the .py is there on Windows and not on
> > installed scripts on Unix.
>
> I have to ask:  is this "a Fred thing", or common Linux fashion?  Back in my
> Unix days, I always left the .py extension on my Python scripts, probably
> because I'm not Barry (i.e., I refused to stuff emacs turds inside my files,
> and my emacs auto-mode trigger was something like *\.py$).

If it's a "Fred thing", then call me Fred ;) I despise having to call
whatever.sh, something.py and heavenforbid.pl. From the command line,
what do I care what the script is written in, or even if it's a script,
an ELF. or an alias. Extensions are fine for developers, because they
need to know implementation details. User's do not, and making them know
is just rude (IMNSHO).

mwa
--
Mark W. Alexander
slash at dotnetslash.net

The contents of this message authored by Mark W. Alexander are
released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial license.
Copyright of quoted materials are retained by the original author(s).