[Distutils] Installing scripts

Mark W. Alexander slash at dotnetslash.net
Thu Jun 10 18:37:25 EDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 06:20:20PM -0400, Tim Peters wrote:
> [Fred L. Drake, Jr.]
> > We just need to make sure the .py is there on Windows and not on
> > installed scripts on Unix.
> I have to ask:  is this "a Fred thing", or common Linux fashion?  Back in my
> Unix days, I always left the .py extension on my Python scripts, probably
> because I'm not Barry (i.e., I refused to stuff emacs turds inside my files,
> and my emacs auto-mode trigger was something like *\.py$).

If it's a "Fred thing", then call me Fred ;) I despise having to call
whatever.sh, something.py and heavenforbid.pl. From the command line,
what do I care what the script is written in, or even if it's a script,
an ELF. or an alias. Extensions are fine for developers, because they
need to know implementation details. User's do not, and making them know
is just rude (IMNSHO).

Mark W. Alexander
slash at dotnetslash.net

The contents of this message authored by Mark W. Alexander are
released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial license.
Copyright of quoted materials are retained by the original author(s).