[Distutils] Installing large applications

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Tue Jun 15 20:20:49 EDT 2004

[Bob Ippolito]
> What about pth files?  I use them all the time for adding additional site
> directories.  Try making a pth file with something like this in it and
> dropping it into the system site-packages:
>
> import site, os; site.addsitedir(os.path.expanduser(os.path.join("~",
  "YourApplication", "site-packages")))

How does this help using more than one version of ZODB (the original
example)?  The version you get depends on which account you're logged in
with?  That could work -- for some definition of "work" <wink>.  A problem
is that, at least on Windows, ZODB gets installed directly under the Python
installation's site-packages now, and the native site-packages trumps
(appears earlier in sys.path than) anything .pth files add.  We would have
to install ZODB elsewhere all the time (not necessarily a bad idea!).