[Distutils] Installing large applications

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Jun 17 13:31:54 EDT 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
>> Jim Fulton wrote:
>>
>>> So, in summary, an application might add multiple librariy areas. The
>>> application *is*
>>> responsible for adding these to sys,path on startup.
>>

>> Fully agree on that one :-)
>>
>> This is not a distutils problem, but an application specific one.
>

> The adding of paths to sys.path is not a distutils problem.
>
> The support for installing into separate application areas *is* a distutils
> problem.

True.

> At a minimum, we need to be able to get the windows installer
> to prompt for a location.

I don't think that the distutils Windows installer should be turned
into a replacement for e.g. InnoSetup. A much better approach would
be to add a flexible bdist_inno to distutils.

> There are probably implications for other
> platforms, like making rpms relocatable.  I would like distutils to support
> an application-installation model, in addition to a library installation
> model.

Do you really think that installing flexible setups such as
that of Zope are within the scope of RPMs ? You can install
the core code base using RPMs easily, but the instances will
most likely need to be setup using some kind of wizard.

Again, I think adding new commands for these different
scopes is better than trying to make the existing commands
more complicated.... bdist_application anyone ?

BTW, is there something like InnoSetup for Linux or Un/x ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 17 2004)