[Distutils] Re: Msvccompiler.py

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Sun May 2 22:15:56 EDT 2004

Hey Scott,

I understand the complexities and I also understand your concerns, the
problem I'm trying to solve is that in some (albeit) rare cases, I know that
I can, and in fact, need to, compile an extension with a different version
of the compiler than the python interpreter was built with. I currently have
to modify the installed modules in the python std library to do this. It
seems to me that a solution that's put into that code that is disabled by
default, but allows experienced developers to more finely tune the
environment they are developing under is a better thing.

I'm not saying the solution I proposed is however the best way to do that,
it's just the one that I came up with that a) requires the minimum of code
changes and b) the minimum of work for the developers who want to use it...I
think!

--Ivan