[Distutils] Re: bdist_deb patches

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Nov 9 17:03:16 CET 2004

Geoffrey T. Dairiki wrote:
> I was wondering if there are any Python-specific standards or
> suggestions which suggested names for these doc-like files.
> (The GNU coding standards, http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/,
> for example specify names for certain files like NEWS, INSTALL,
> README, COPYING, ChangeLog.)   I've looked for an appropriate PEP
> and not found it.   The only evidence of any special filenames
> I've found is that distutils sdist looks for README and README.txt.

As always, I think explicit is better than implicit.

The bdist_rpm command uses an option with which you can
specify the doc-files (--doc-files). I'd use the same approach for
bdist_deb.

That way a packager has full control over what is considered
a documentation file and what not. I usually place that information
into the setup.cfg file, so that the user doesn't have to bother
about the setting.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Nov 09 2004)