[Distutils] Re: bdist_deb patches

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Nov 10 11:10:38 CET 2004

Jeff Dairiki wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 17:03:16 +0100, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>

>>As always, I think explicit is better than implicit.
>>
>>The bdist_rpm command uses an option with which you can
>>specify the doc-files (--doc-files). I'd use the same approach for
>>bdist_deb.
>>
>>That way a packager has full control over what is considered
>>a documentation file and what not. I usually place that information
>>into the setup.cfg file, so that the user doesn't have to bother
>>about the setting.
>

> My code current does implement a --doc-files option, a la bdist_rpm.
> There are also several other options which control what goes into
> /usr/share/doc:
> --upstream-changelog, --license-file, and --examples.
> The heuristics are only used if the option is not explicitly set (e.g. if
> the --doc-files=NEWS option is specified, README will not automatically
> be included.)
>
> My thinking is that it's better to shotgun a few things, like a README
> and hopefully some licensing information, into the package rather than
> just leave them out.
>
> The reason for the four separate options rather than just --doc-files is that
> Debian policy want to see those four different classes of files installed in
> quite specific manners.
>
> Given that the heuristics are only used to compute default values, do you still
> think they are a bad thing?

Not at all. I just got the impression that you were guessing
a bit much. If it is possible to override these suggestions
then that's fine.

BTW, why do you need so many different options for specifying
doc files ? Is that a Debian thing or requirement ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Nov 10 2004)