[Distutils] Add RPM-friendly Record Option

Jeff Pitman symbiont at berlios.de
Sun Oct 3 18:57:58 CEST 2004

On Thursday 30 September 2004 01:25, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> Any comments on this patch?  symbiont has been doing a lot of work
> with RPMs, and has run into some issues where he needs some more
> features than the normal record file provides.  Any objections to my
> accepting this patch?

I'm at v0.4 with the patch on sf.net because extra-path (Numeric)
introduces some complexity, so I just hardcoded excluding
'site-packages' from the list.  This won't be able to cover the case
where the base lib directory changes to something say like
'homers-packages', but I think we're ok on that.

But, I hit another snag whilst packaging IPython. They really pulled a
doozy on me by introducing an additional "install_data_ext" which uses
a different data format then the standard self.distribution.data_files.
A local run of setup.py works because they've installed
install_data_ext as the callback (or whatever we call it now-a-days)
for install_data which handles the new data form.  However, the
write_record_rpm sneaks in to check what the directories are for this
list. I'm wondering if there is any hope to cover for this situation.
Any ideas?

(Since IPython installs docs in a non-standard loc, I will bypass this,
but I'm still wondering for the sake of long term usage.)

take care,
--
-jeff