[Distutils] distutils with swig support

Christian Dieterich cdieterich at geosci.uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 7 00:44:23 CEST 2004

Hi,

Some of my Python packages that build swigged code need to run swig
with include directories and/or with macro definitions. The standard
Python distutils does not provide this as an option, so I ended up with
two sub-classes of the distutils package that I distribute along with
the setup script.

I consider it more a hack, but my colleagues keep telling me, I should
let you know, so that it might be considered for a future distutils
version or that it is at least available to the community.

Below is an attachment including an alternative distribution class for
distutils that applies the --include-dirs and --define options of the
build_ext command not only to the compiler but also to swig. The
include_dirs and define_macros keywords in the setup call are
considered as well.

Usually the Python support file from swig is left unused in the src
directory. The alternative distribution class also puts the Python
output of swig to the build/lib.machine/package directory, so that it
gets installed.

Here are a few lines of a setup.py script that uses the alternative
distribution class. The two files dist_with_swig.py and
build_ext_with_swig.py live in the same directory than setup.py.

# import setup tools
# import distribution class with swig support
from dist_with_swig import Distribution_with_swig
# set up package
setup(distclass=Distribution_with_swig, name="my_package", ...)

Happy swigging,

Christian

P.S.
I used distutils version 1.0.3 of Python 2.3.3 to sub-class. In the
attachment are also the patches for dist.py and build_ext.py.