[Distutils] Re: A bit o' help on creating a distribution with MingW32

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Oct 12 22:31:29 CEST 2004

At 11:31 AM 10/12/04 -0700, Scott David Daniels wrote:
>Thomas Heller wrote:
>>Scott David Daniels <Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org> writes:
>>>I am having a bit of trouble creating a windows distributable
>>>with a C module using MingW32.  While I can do:
> >>         python setup.py build --compile=mingw32
> >>         python setup.py bdist_wininst --skip-build
> >>I get an executable with no tag for the particular python version.
>>You could use command chaining, if that's the correct word for that:
>>python setup.py build --compiler=mingw32 bdist_wininst
>
>This does the trick, both for using the mingw32 compiler, and for
>tagging the result with the python version.  Thanks for the help.

Note that if you intend to build most of your extensions with mingw32, just
add this:

[build]
compiler = mingw32

to C:\PythonNN\Lib\distutils\distutils.cfg.  Then, you needn't specify the
compiler argument all the time; it's sufficient to run setup.py bdist_wininst.

Alternatively, you can add it to 'setup.cfg' in the same directory as your
'setup.py', but then you have to do it for each project.