[Distutils] re: Cross-compilation support in distutils?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sun Oct 17 12:48:06 CEST 2004

Dan Kegel wrote:
> On Jul 27 2004, Tim Gilbert wrote
> (http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2004-July/004105.html)
>
>> As anybody who might have tried to cross-compile python before has
>> probably noticed, this isn't easy.  ... After much furrowing of my
>> brow and hacking of the makefile I've managed to get the compilation
>> to go through the whole way ...
>> Once I'm a little farther along I'll put up a web page with some
>> patches and things that will hopefully make this all a little clearer,
>> but for now I'd like to get a little input.
>>
>> 1. Is there interest in adding cross-compilation support to distutils?
>
> Oh, yes.  Cross-compiling Python and its extensions (at least as of 2.2.5,
> the version I tried) is extremely painful, and we need to fix that.
>
>> (Beyond that of yours truly.)  If so, I'd like to get a discussion
>> going on some options for how to do this - especially, I'd like to
>> have a way to specify via configure arguments or a python script which
>> libraries to include.
>

> Yes, yes, yes.
>
>> ... Cross-compiling python for ARM howto:
>>      http://www.ailis.de/~k/docs/crosscompiling/python.php
>

> I found this quite helpful.  However, I'm still facing the
> problem of keeping setup.py from searching /usr, /usr/local, etc.
> and finding locally-installed packages.  I guess I should
> write a little patch to disable the implicit automatic
> search of those directories.

I think you need to be more explicit about what you are
trying to achieve here:

As far as I understand the setup.py you are talking about
is the one that is used to compile the extensions that
come with Python (those in Modules/) rather than extensions
built using stock distutils.

If that's the case, then you are talking about adding support
to that particular setup.py and not distutils in general,
so the discussion would need to take place on python-dev
rather than here.

What I'd be more interested in is figuring out which
things would help distutils users *in general* in order
to make cross-compilation feasable.

In particular:
* which features are missing ?
* which extra commands would be needed ?
* what else is missing in support of cross-compilation ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 17 2004)