[Distutils] Enhancement request

Craig misterbike at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 18 02:06:48 CEST 2004

Here is something I'd like to be able to do with distutils "install":

python distinstall.py foo-3.2.zip

and have the foo package installed, no unzipping needed. distinstall.py (or whatever it is called) would be in the python path and would be just a simple front end to setup.py. This would make my life easier. It would be really cool if it could do this in memory, without creating temp files (for when I'm sitting on a read only network drive installing packages).

Also, I'd like to be able to package distutil packages and have them installed. eg I create a package that depends on pysnmp so I'd like to distribute pysnmp with my package. I'd like to avoid extending my setup.py to repackage pysnmp (because I don't to have any idea of how it's author packaged it) and just shove pysnmp-3.4.2.tar.gz into my dist bundle and let distutils deal with it. This would also help me bundle up all the packages my team is creating for our project (we are working independently).

Thanks,
Craig Durland